Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The cast becoming a family member

Massimo has been out of the cast for 2 weeks now! He had come down with a rash from the previous cast and also a cough. So we cancelled his dec. 14 cast date and will wait til after the holidays for cast #3.
We have enjoyed the freedom for Massi! He literally wants to take a bath everyday. He puts food on his hands and then in his hair because I think he knows it will result in a bath! I love picking up a lighter Massi and hugging him as long as I can!
But as I was looking at his back seeing what I think is an improvement in his curve, I was missing the cast! Why? because I know the cast helps him, gives us hope that he will have a straight spine, it reminds me that the casting is a miracle that has brought improvement to other kids and brought some wonderful families into my life! I hope this all makes sense!
On a lighter note, the cast is like another child.
With the 1st child you are so careful and doting on them and even checking to see if there chest goes up and down in the midddle of the night. We dress them in all these cute outfits and if they get a stain on the outift, off it goes and into the wash.
This is like the 1st cast, It is so new, you don't know what to expect! You make sure it is ok and that your child is ok in it. You practically dress your child in a long bib so not to get the cast dirty. If the cast does get dirty, the wipes come out and you make sure it is spotless.
When the 2nd child comes, you feel like a pro. You pay less attention to the dirt on their clothes or even their body. You become less neurotic about their every move....although you don't love them any less.
With our 2nd cast, it was like having the 2nd child. We were less worried about Massi in the cast. We didn't follow the cast's every move. We were less concerned about it getting dirty and that definitely showed as Robert took it off! To see parts of our Christmas tree, food, and god knows what else under there, made me chuckle.
Now with the 3rd cast coming soon, will it be like us having our 3rd child....Massimo. I knew he was the last one we would have so I treasured every moment because I knew i wouldn't experience it again.
Don't get me wrong, I know in no way this is will be Massimo's last cast! I am just curious to see how we will welcome and treat our newest family member!

No comments:

Post a Comment